Are you okay - a talk by Mia Farlane
Recording of a talk at LILAC on 25 March 2021 by Mia Farlane on PrideNZ.com. Mia spoke about writing and researching her next novel Parallel Hell and read excerpts from it. Mia writes darkly humorous literary fiction re flailing relationships, failed intimacies and mental health. Her first novel Footnotes to Sex is available at LILAC.
So no one told you life was gonna be this GAY - interview with Lil O'Brien
- An interview with Lil O'Brien, author of Not that I'd kiss a girl, an account of her experience growing up lesbian in New Zealand. The interview is a long read but excellent - as is the book which is available at LILAC.
- A Spinoff Sunday essay by Lil O'Brien about writing, editing and the publication of her book.
Interview with Julie Glamuzina about Dr Hjelmar von Dannevill
PrideNZ.com has a podcast of author and researcher Julie Glamuzina talking about the
extraordinary life of Dr Hjelmar von Dannevill. The doctor arrived in New Zealand in 1911 with
little documentation and began working in a health home in Miramar. During WW1 von Dannevill
was investigated and then imprisoned on Matiu/Somes Island in Wellington harbour.
Julie gave a talk at LILAC on 26 February 2020 about Hjelmar von Dannevill and research for her biography of her.
Dead Lesbian Poets: A Meditation in Six Parts
This article by Julie R. Enszer on the Lambda Literary website discusses lesbian poets from Sappho to contemporary American poets from several decades and locales - including the active and vibrant lesbian literary scene in Chicago during the 1970s and later, Michigan in the 1980s and 1990s, and San Francisco from the 1960s.
From the Auckland Writers Festival 2015 - 2019:
- Marilyn Waring on her book 'The Political Years' (podcast)
- Canadian Ivan Coyote on their book ‘Tomboy Survival Guide’ video and podcast
- Roxanne Gay on ‘Difficult women’ (podcast)
- The Book of Forgiving: Mpho Tutu van Furth (podcast)
- Susie Orbach and Jeanette Winterson on ‘Creativity and Craziness’ - podcast and video
- Susie Orbach on
‘Feminist Days’ (podcast)
- and from the 2015 Festival:
UK Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy,
and our own Renée
Book lists, book reviews, bibliographies, blogs
- The Lesbian Review - website dedicated to lesbian fiction
- 100 must-read lesbian and bisexual women books - from bookriot.com
- The 10 best lesbian books where no one dies! - from author Anna Pulley
- 38 lesbian magazines that burned brightly, died
hard, left a mark - article about the histories of American lesbian magazines
Six Lesbian Magazines From The Then Before Now - article on Autostraddle about American lesbian magazines from the 1970s
- Describing Jools and Linda - a post on the National Library's blog about Topp treasures archived in the Alexander Turnbull Library
- Lesbians in the Twentieth Century, 1900-1999 - annotated bibliography on OutHistory.org
- Good Lesbian Books - a book review website, with links to other lesbian book blogs
- List of LGBT writers - on Wikipedia [a bit short of current Kiwi writers but we know who they are]
- Mega list of LGBTQ+ fantasy, sci-fi and horror books by Australian and New Zealand authors prepared for Pride month 2021
- Lambda Literary Foundation - LGBT book reviews, author interviews, opinion and news. Includes the annual Lambda Literary Awards, blog, tweets.
- Rainbow List - annual lists of quality books with significant and authentic GLBTQ content, which are recommended for young people
- Queer YA - reviews of fiction of interest to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, queer, and questioning teenagers
- The Lesbrary - a lesbian book blog.
- Casey the Canadian Lesbrarian - another blog.
- Lesbian literature on the Wikipedia LGBT portal, which also has information on some Lesbian authors
- UK lesbian fiction - a blog with info about new titles, authors, awards, etc.
- Bibliography of Australian lesbian history
- Bibliography on Homosexuality in New Zealand, 1770-2012 - Tony Millett's labour of love
- Natalie Clifford Barney: An Annotated Bibliography - includes an introduction with biographical details and information about Barney's relationships with other writers. The citations include works written by and about her, and there is also a listing of works in which she appears as a fictional character. (pdf, plain text and other formats)
- Lesbian News Aotearoa - formerly in print as the Tamaki Makaurau Lesbian Newsletter; online publication suspended in Janaury 2019.
- Dyke, a quarterly, published in New York City 1975-1979 - an annotated archive of issues, letters, ephemera and some side trips
- Broadsheet - New Zealand's feminist magazine published 1972 - 1997. Plenty of lesbian content and lesbian authors
- Sinister Wisdom, a multicultural lesbian literary & arts journal. Published since July 1976; digitisation project completed to no. 73 Sept 2008 [Feb 2019]
- Spare Rib, feminist magazine with significant lesbian content, published in the UK 1972-1993
- Strange Sisters - (an archive) of lesbian paperback artwork from the 50s and 60s. LILAC has the book Strange sisters : the art of lesbian pulp fiction 1949-1969 by Jayne Zimet, shelved at 700 in the nonfiction section.
- Trouble & Strife, radical feminist magazine with significant lesbian content, published in the UK 1983-2002 [issues scanned but not digitised]
- Lesbian magazines that burned brightly, died hard, left a mark - a brief history 38 American magazines, from Autostradle.com
- New Zealand: Lesbian lives on Te Ara, the online Encyclopaedia of New Zealand
- lesbian history by British gay historian Rictor Norton; he has found some gems. See our Full text page for links to some of them.
- Queer History research guide from the National Library of New Zealand
... and some New Zealand women's history
- Spiral Collectives - celebrating women’s art & writing from Aotearoa New Zealand
Interviews with (and about) authors
- Val McDermid interviewed by Kim Hill on Radio New Zealand (14 Sept 2019)
- Patricia Highsmith was the subject for LILAC's book group in February 2018. There is lots of great Highsmith material on You Tube. This includes a recording of the BBC Desert Island Discs interview from 1979, comments by lesbian authors Alison Bechdel and Terry Castle and a discussion with her biographer Joan Schenkar. There are also lots of recordings related to the 2015 movie "Carol"
- Interview with Renée on the occasion of publication of her memoir These Two Hands; broadcast on RNZ Saturday Morning programme on 18 Nov 2017; the interviewer was Kim Hill. Naturally LILAC has the book!
- Black Scottish author Jackie Kay interviewed by Nicola Sturgeon ... and there are a few other videos of her on youtube.
- A 1962 TV interview with Natalie Clifford Barney (1876-1972). Filmed at her home in the Latin Quarter of Paris, she talks about her life and the great writers and personalities she met and entertained in her salon. There is more information about her on wikipedia.
- 1975 TV movie The Writer in America: Janet Flanner - Janet Flanner (1892-1978) wrote a weekly column for The New Yorker for 50 years, under the pen name "Genêt". As well as being one of the "women about Paris". (running time 29:16)
- An interview with Jane Rule (1931-2007) in which she talks about her work as a writer, the effects of that work on a larger audience, the film adaptation of 'Desert of the Heart', motherhood (which often appears as a theme in her work), her move from the US to Canada, teaching, art, loneliness, and much more.
Same Same But Different
- The 2020 online winter talk series Two to the Power of 5 is now online
- Same Same But Different audio - from the Same Same But Different LGBTQI writers festival, held in Auckland 12-14 February 2016
Queer libraries, archives & museums
- LAGANZ - Lesbian and Gay Archives of New Zealand
- Charlotte Museum Trust, a lesbian museum for New Zealand
- Lesbian Archive and Information Centre (LAIC) - set up in London in 1984, the LAIC is now housed in the Women's Library in Glasgow. It contains the largest and most significant collection about lesbian lives and organisations in the UK.
- GLBTQ archive of an Encyclopedia of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Culture; no new material added since 2015
- Gerber Hart Library and Archives (Chicago)
- HOMODOK LGBT archive (Netherlands)
- June Mazor Lesbian Archives (Los Angeles)
- Bay Area Lesbian Archives (San Francisco)
- Lesbian Herstory Archives (New York)
- Archives of Lesbian Oral Testimony - online oral history interviews and testimonies (US and Canada)
- Pat Parker/Vito Russo Library, New York
- Historic gay & lesbian photos from the digital collections of the New York Public Libraries
Local queer websites
- Lesbian New Zealand - links to N.Z. lesbian websites
- Lesbian Wellington
- Armstrong & Arthur Charitable Trust for Lesbians
- Rainbow Wellington
- Rainbow Team Wellington - an umbrella organisation for Wellington queer sports and recreation groups
- Express magazine - free print copies available at LILAC
- Unity Books where we buy most of our books
- The Women's Bookshop in Auckland; they have a mail-order service.